It has been a long time since my last update! A lot has been going on here in the last few months, but I will start with the most recent stuff!

Ariel and Maybelle had their litters a few days ago. Both litters are doing great – Ariel had 12 (4 boys and 8 girls) and Maybelle had 11 (5 boys and 6 girls). Their litter pages have been posted along with pictures.

Rapunzel and Douma had their litters in October, the babies were beautiful, and Rapunzel gave me a great surprise – pink-eye dilute babies! She had one champagne and one silver fawn, and I will be keeping those two to establish a PED line here. I am very excited – as some of you know, the first rats I ever got from a breeder were a silver fawn and a champagne, so I have always had a soft spot for those colors!
I also got some absolutely gorgeous dove and russian cinnamons from Douma’s litter, along with a boy who I believe is a russian dove point siamese. His points are starting to come in and they are very pretty!

In September, we brought home a new JRT puppy, Cricket. She is gorgeous and very smart and has lots of attitude.

At the end of October we went to the JRTCA National Trial. Gizmo was entered in Rally-O, and Cricket in conformation. Gizmo got high scoring dog in Rally-O which I am very proud of, and Cricket got 6th place in her puppy conformation class.

The snowstorm started on the way back from the trial, and a 3 hour drive took us 9 hours…it was miserable, but we made it. Unfortunately, due to the storm, we lost power for over a week. We got 10″ of snow! It was a very cold and miserable week with no heat or power, but I am grateful that my sister lives close enough that I could go over there to shower and hop on the computer to check e-mails. Between that and the hurricane in August, we had no power for 16 out of 45 days!!!

In mid-October, Kessy was entered in an HGH herding trial. It is a German-style herding trial with 200 sheep. It took us 2 years to be ready, but she did awesome! She got High in Trial and is now one of only a handful of dogs in the country to be titled in both HGH and Schutzhund. Our judge was from Germany, and he’d won their national herding competition several times. He was very impressed with Kessy.

Throughout the summer and fall, both Kessy and Gizmo were also entered in lots of Rally Obedience trials. They both got their RL1, RL2, and RL3 titles, all with Awards of Merit for having all qualifying scores over 190, RL1X titles (which is 10 Q’s in Level 1), and their ARCH titles, so now they are Rally Champions.

In September, shortly after we got Cricket, Djenga had to have surgery for an obstruction in her intestines. It was major surgery, but she recovered very quickly, and she is doing great.

Beau, our cat, had to be put to sleep at the end of August. His kidneys were failing, and he did not improve after more than a week on IV fluids. It was time to let him go :( We took him home with us for a night, so he could spend one night at home with us instead of stuck in a cage at the vet. He slept right between me and my husband, and he curled up right against my chest and just purred like crazy. It was really hard to lose him, he was the sweetest and happiest cat I ever knew.

So there have been lots of ups and down, but for now things seem to have quieted down again which is a relief!